Method of Application
Application for an honors degree at the British American University may take various forms.
A candidate needs to collect the BAU Admission Form from the Office of the Registrar or other designated offices worldwide personally or by post. The form may also be downloaded from this website. The filled-out form must be submitted to the office of the Registrar or the point of purchase with the non-refundable processing fee of $50 for undergraduate admission or $75 for postgraduate admission for the form to be processed. Make sure you submit all necessary documents with your form including the following:
- Certified True Copies of all Certificates (Academic and/or Professional).
- Certified True Copies of Birth Certificate or Sworn Declaration of Age,
- In case of Postgraduate Admission, original copies of all academic Transcripts,
- Proof of Sponsorship in the forms of letter from a sponsor, in the case of self-sponsored candidates , letter of guarantee from employer or any other document to show the candidates financial ability to cope with the financial needs while on the program,
- Attestation/Recommendation Letter from a notable person such as a Clergyman, Imam, employer or the Principal of the candidates’ former School/College.
- A Letter of Understanding by the candidate to be of good conduct while on the BAU Program,
- Identity Documents such as International Passport, National Identity Card or a letter of identity from the candidate’s local Government of Origin,
- Four copies of recently taken Passport Photograph of the Candidate, and
- Any other document which in the opinion of the candidate would enhance his/her chance of being admitted.
Admission processing at the British American University is simple and clear. Application for an honors degree at BAU may be made in various forms depending on entry qualifications. For instance, a candidate with Ordinary Level General Certificate of Examination (O/L GCE), High School Diploma or equivalent qualification may apply for admission into the 100 level or the first year of the program. Another one with Advanced Level training such as National Diploma, NCE, or equivalent qualification may apply for admission into the second year (200 Level) of the degree program. Yet, candidates with the Higher National Diploma, degree or their equivalent professional qualifications may be absorbed into the 3rd year of the program, while students on transfer from other Universities are also encouraged normally. Immediately the form is submitted, it is sent to the processing office and the processing commences.
The University reserves the right to invite you for interview oral presentation of your submission particularly if you are a postgraduate candidate or you are being considered as a matured candidate. Also, if the University wishes, you may be required to appear for a written entrance examination or a computer-based assessment at a time and venue to be announced. At any point of the processing, you will be duly informed of what and what to do and the status of your application until a final decision is taken on your file, and you are finally admitted or otherwise depending on the outcome of the exercise which includes verification or authentication of all the documents accompanying your application. If at any stage it is discovered that you presented a fake or fraudulent document in support of your application or your supplied false information on your form, your file may be rejected and your application cancelled. In any case, the decision of the University on all admission matters is final.
For a candidate to be considered for admission into the BAU Bachelor’s degree Program, he/she must possess 5 O/level credit passes at one sitting or 6 O/Level credit papers at 2 sittings. The credit passes must be relevant to the proposed course of study, and may be obtained from WAEC, NECO, NABTEB or equivalent professional qualifications. Matured candidates with considerable education may however be considered after passing and entrance examination. Candidates with OND, NCE, A/L GCE, University Diploma and equivalent professional qualifications are acceptable for direct entry admission into 200 Level of the relevant degree programs while HND/Higher Diploma holders will spend two semesters for the degree conversion programs. However, entry into a Master’s degree of the BAU requires a good relevant bachelor’s degree not below Second Class Lower Division or a postgraduate diploma. Relevant HND not below the grade of Upper Credit may also be considered into the Master’s degree programs. Finally, BAU may consider students transferring from other Universities on individual merit basis if the GPA is not less than 2.50.
The entry requirements for admission into BAU Postgraduate School are as follows:
Postgraduate Diploma: Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, HND or equivalent Professional Certificates such as ACIA, ACIS, ACA, ACIMA, ACIB, CIPM, etc
Master of Business Administration (MBA): Applicants must possess a good Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of Second Class Honors (Lower Division) from the BAU or other recognized Universities. However, Final professional Certificates of Chartered Professional Bodies such as ACIA, ACA, ACCA, ACIMA, ACIS, ACIB, CIPM, IDPM (London) ACPA, as well as HND with Upper Credit, Postgraduate Diploma of ICU and/or ICMT or other recognized Institutions are also acceptable for the MBA Program. In all cases, two years post qualification cognate experience is required.
M.Sc. Degree Programs: Applicants must possess a good relevant Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of Second Class Honors (Lower Division) from recognized Universities or For the Faculty of Management Sciences, Final Professional Certificates of Chartered Professional Institutes such as ACIA, ACA, ACCA, ACIMA, ACIS, ACIB, CIPM, IDPM (London), ACPA, etc Applicants who demonstrate brilliant academic performances during Postgraduate Diploma programs or holders of MBA Degree may also be considered for admission into the M. Sc Programs.
- Phil. Programs: Applicants must normally possess a Master’s Degree in addition to a good Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline from a recognized University. However, applicants with good Bachelor’s Degrees with Second Class Honors (Upper Division) or First Class Honors may be admitted directly into the M. Phil. Programs. Holders of professional masters degree or M. Sc. Are also eligible to apply for the M. Phil. program
Doctoral Degrees (by Course Work and Thesis): Applicants must possess a good Master’s Degree with average score of 60% or better (or equivalent of 4.00 on a 5.00 GPA scale) in addition to a good Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline from the any recognized Universities.
Doctoral Degrees (by Publications): Candidates for the Degree of PhD by Publications must be members or past members of staff/ alumni of a recognized University or research Institution. In order to be eligible for consideration, alumni must be graduates of at least five years’ standing and have already obtained a Masters Degree. However, in exceptional circumstances, other candidates may also be considered. Applications may be made at any time and such applications should be accompanied by:
- A list of the publications to be submitted; these may include refereed articles, authored chapters, authored books, and edited works. They may not include course readers, internally published materials or unpublished seminar/conference papers,
- A supporting paper; this should summarize each publication submitted, outline their interrelationships, give a critical review of the current state of knowledge and research in the applicant’s field and indicate how his or her work has contributed to the field. It should also comment on the standing of any journals and the reception of the publications as indicated by citations and reviews.
Criteria for the Award of the Degree: To be awarded a Degree of PhD by Publication run by BAU, a candidate must show that his or her work makes a significant contribution to knowledge in a particular field. The publications must also provide evidence of the capacity of the candidate to pursue further research, representing a coherent contribution to research in a given field and demonstrating a depth of scholarship and originality comparable with that required in a PhD thesis. The materials submitted shall be sufficiently extensive as to provide convincing evidence that the research constitutes a substantial contribution to knowledge or scholarship, and at Registration, the candidate shall submit for examination: (a) three copies, in published form, of each items forming part of the work on which the applications for the Degree by Publication is based. Permission to include work in manuscript, but which has been accepted for publications, may be granted upon a request by the applicant, (b) four copies of the supporting papers referred to above, modified, if necessary after consultation with the adviser. A full bibliography of all the work ever published by the candidate must be included as an appendix, (c) a statement as to what part (if any) of the materials have been submitted for a Degree or other qualifications at BAU or any other university or institution, explaining the reason for its inclusion and, if joint work is submitted, what part of it is the candidate’s contribution. In all cases, possession of a good Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized University is mandatory.
Doctoral Degrees (by Research): This option is available to advanced academic staff in the Universities or other research institutions. The basic entry requirements are as follows:
- A good Bachelor Degree with a minimum of Second Class Honors (Upper Division),
- A Master Degree in relevant disciplines with average score of 60% or better (or equivalent of 4.00 on a 5.00 GPA scale)
- Must be working in a University or a research institution as a lecturer, instructor or researcher
- A minimum of 5 years working experience is mandatory,
- A minimum of 5 academic and/or professional publications in relevant disciplines in the mixture of journal articles, textbooks, contributions to books, edited books, monographs, etc. is mandatory.
- Possession of Final Professional Certificate of recognized Chartered Professional Institute will be an added advantage.
Having met the above conditions, the applicant ONLY needs to write the Thesis/Dissertation on an Approved Topic relevant to his area of specialization to fulfill the requirements for the award of the Doctoral Degree. Applicants holding Master’s Degrees with average score less than 60% (or GPA of 4.00 out of a 5.00 scale) who wish to enroll for the PhD may be considered for M. Phil./PhD alternative. However, irrespective of the submission by the Applicants, the decision of the BAU is final on admission, which is also dependent on availability of space. NOTE: If a candidate of PhD by Research wishes to specialize in any area of study, he/she should write his thesis in that area.